We support our Publishers and Content Creators. You can view this story on their website by CLICKING HERE.

Ahead of Thursday’s prime-time show-trial hearings for the Jan. 6 Committee, the panel’s vice chair, Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, is soliciting campaign contributions from those subpoenaed by the witch hunt probe.

Megan Small, who was director of operations for the Trump campaign and was subpoenaed by the Jan. 6 Committee in September, published a Cheney campaign mailer on Twitter Monday requesting donations.

“Hey [Liz Cheney], is it standard operating procedure on the Jan. 6 committee to ask subpoenaed witnesses for campaign contributions?” Small wrote.

Small told The Federalist she received the mailer at her Florida address on May 21, calling the letter “unsavory at best” given the committee’s threats to refer those subpoenaed for criminal prosecution by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

“[Cheney] has threatened to make criminal referrals to DOJ of those witnesses,” Small said. “So arguably the campaign contributions is being solicited not just from a witness, but from someone who may or may not be, at her discretion, referred to DOJ for criminal prosecution.”

Former President Donald Trump’s trade adviser Peter Navarro is the first among the more than 100 witnesses subpoenaed to face a DOJ indictment unsealed Friday. In April, the House of Representatives voted to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress for refusal to testify and turn over documents Navarro argues are protected by executive privilege. The House has also voted to hold a trio of other former Trump officials in contempt, including former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, former White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications Dan Scavino, and former adviser Steve Bannon. According to The New York Times, the DOJ has no plans to charge Meadows and Scavino, both of whom have similarly argued that compelled cooperation with the Jan. 6 Committee would violate executive privilege.

Small told The Federalist she spoke with the committee earlier this year.

Cheney’s mailer sent to out-of-state residents comes as the three-term incumbent already possesses a major cash advantage in a competitive primary this summer. According to the latest data from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), Cheney still has more than $6.7 million in cash on hand of more than $10 million raised with less than three months left in the race. A Federalist analysis revealed a vast majority of her donations came from her true constituents in Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia rather than residents of Wyoming. Thousands have come from the same blue-dollar donors who bankrolled the Lincoln Project.

Cheney’s Trump-endorsed primary challenger attorney Harriet Hageman, on the other hand, has just more than $1 million left in cash on hand out of more than $2 million raised, according to the FEC.


Tristan Justice is the western correspondent for The Federalist. He has also written for The Washington Examiner and The Daily Signal. His work has also been featured in Real Clear Politics and Fox News. Tristan graduated from George Washington University where he majored in political science and minored in journalism. Follow him on Twitter at @JusticeTristan or contact him at Tristan@thefederalist.com.